«If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere». Frank A. Clark
TK 8109 Advanced Topics in Guidance and Navigation
The course is given Fall 2018
Hours:To be decided
Room:To be decided
Final exam: November 2018
- Professor Thor I. Fossen (NTNU)
LECTURE PLAN (will be updated in 2018)
NTNU students, please use Blackboard for communication and educational materials.
Description: Advanced guidance and navigation methods for underwater vehicles, ships, aircraft and spacecraft. This also includes autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs) and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). Classical guidance principles (line-of-sight methods, pure pursuit, etc.) and path planning (Dubins path, clothoids, etc.), Extended Kalman filters (EKFs) and nonlinear observers for sensor fusion and navigation. INS aiding techniques including GNSS position, RTK GNSS, pseudo-range and rate measurements and camera measurements (optical flow). Loosely and tighly coupled integration filters using Lyapunov methods and the eXogenous Kalman Filter (XKF). Mulitplicative Extended Kalman Filter (MEKF) and Lyapunov-based nonlinear observers for attitude estimation. Topological restrictions and estimation on SO(3). The course is divided into three modules.
Module 1: Strapdown Inertial Navigation
Strapdown inertial navigation systems (INS) aided by camera measurements and global navigation satellite systems (GNSS). Nonlinear Lyapunov-based observer design, sensor fusion and stability.
- Bhat, S. P. and D. S. Bernstein (2000). A Topological Obstruction to Continuous Global Stabilization of Rotational Motion and the Unwinding Phenomenon. Systems and Control Letters, 39(1):63-70, 2000.
- Bryne, T. H., T. I. Fossen and T. A. Johansen (2015). A Virtual Vertical Reference Concept for GNSS/INS Applications at the Sea Surface. Proc. of the IFAC MCMC'15, Copenhagen, Denmark, 24-26 August, 2015.
- Bryne, T. H, R. H. Rogne, T. I. Fossen and T. A. Johansen (2016). Attitude and Heave Estimation for Ships using MEMS-based Inertial Measurements. Proc. of the IFAC Conference on Control Applications in Marine Systems (CAMS'16), Trondheim, Norway.
- Grip, H. F., T. I. Fossen, T. A. Johansen and A. Saberi (2012a). Attitude Estimation Using Biased Gyro and Vector Measurements with Time-Varying Reference Vector. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 57, No. 5, pp. 1332-1338, May 2012.
- Grip, H. F., T. I. Fossen, T. A. Johansen and A. Saberi (2012b). A Nonlinear Observer for Integration of GNSS and IMU Measurements with Gyro Bias Estimation, Proc. of the American Control Conference, Montreal, Canada, 24-27 March 2012.
- Grip, H. F., T. I. Fossen, T. A. Johansen and A. Saberi (2013). Nonlinear Observer for GNSS-Aided Inertial Navigation with Quaternion-Based Attitude Estimation. Proceedings of the American Control Conference (ACC 2013), Washington DC, 17-19 June.
- Grip, H. F., T. I. Fossen, T. A. Johansen and A. Saberi (2016). Nonlinear Observer for Attitude, Position and Velocity: Theory and Experiments. Chapter 7 In «Multisensor Attitude Estimation» (H. Fourati and D. C. Belkhia, Eds.), CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group), 2016.
- Grip, H. F., T. I. Fossen, T. A. Johansen and A. Saberi (2015). Globally Exponentially Stable Attitude and Gyro Bias Estimation with Application to GNSS/INS Integration. Automatica. Volume 51, January 2015, Pages 158–166.
- Hansen, J. M., T. I. Fossen and T. A. Johansen (2015). Nonlinear Observer for INS Aided by Time-Delayed GNSS Measurements - Implementation and UAV Experiments. Proc. of the 2015 International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (ICUAS'15), Denver, Colorado, 9-12 June 2015.
- Hansen, J. M., T. I. Fossen and T. A. Johansen (2016a). Tightly Coupled Integrated Inertial and Real-Time-Kinematic Positioning Approach Using Nonlinear Observer. Proc. of the American Control Conference (ACC'16), Boston, 6-8 July, 2016.
- Hansen, J. M., J. Roháč, M. Šipoš, T. A. Johansen and T. I. Fossen (2016b). Validation and Experimental Testing of Observers for Robust GNSS-Aided Inertial Navigation. In «Recent Advances in Robotic Systems. (G. Wang, Ed.), InTech, Vienna, 2016. <Open Access: http://intechweb.org/>. ISBN 978-953-51-4767-1
- Hosen, J., H. H. Helgesen, L. Fusini, T. I. Fossen and T. A. Johansen (2016). Vision-aided Nonlinear Observer for Fixed-wing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Navigation. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 2016.
- Johansen, T. A. and T. I. Fossen (2015). Nonlinear Observer for Inertial Navigation Aided by Pseudo-Range and Range-Rate Measurements. Proc. of the European Control Conference (ECC'15), Linz, Austria, 15-17 July, 2015.
- Johansen, T. A. and T. I. Fossen. The eXogenous Kalman Filter (XKF) (2016a). International Journal of Control, 2016.
- Johansen, T. A., T. I. Fossen and G. Goodwin (2016b). Three-Stage Filter for Position Eestimation using Pseudo-Range Measurements. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, 2016.
- Markley, F. L. (2003). Attitude error representations for Kalman filtering. J. Guid. Contr. Dynam., 26(2), 311–317.
- Mahony, R., T. Hamel, T., and J.-M. Pflimlin (2008). Nonlinear complementary filters on the Special Orthogonal Group. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 53(5), 1203–1218.
- Rogne, R. H., T. H. Bryne, T. I. Fossen and T. A. Johansen (2016). MEMS-based Inertial Navigation on Dynamically Positioned Ships: Dead Reckoning. Proc. of the IFAC Conference on Control Applications in Marine Systems (CAMS'16), Trondheim, Norway.
Module 2: Path Planning
Dubins path, clothoids, Pythagorean hodographs, Voronoi diagrams, parametrization of curves, collision avoidance.
- Tsourdos, A. et al. (2010). Cooperative Path Planning of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. (Chapters 1,2 and 4).
- LaValle, S. M. (2011a). Motion planning. The essentials. IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Magazine, 18(1):79-89, 2011.
- LaValle, S. M. (2011b). Motion planning: Wild frontiers. IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Magazine, 18(2):108–118, 2011.
- Candeloro, M., A. Lekkas, A. J. Sørensen and T. I. Fossen (2013). Continuous Curvature Path Planning using Voronoi diagrams and Fermat's spirals. Proc. of the IFAC CAMS 2013, Osaka, Japan.
- Lekkas, A. M., A. R. Dahl, M. Breivik and T. I. Fossen (2013). Continuous-Curvature Path Generation Using Fermat's Spiral. Modeling, Identification and Control, Vol. 34, No. 4, 2013, pp. 1–15.
- Lekkas, A. M. and T. I. Fossen (2014). Integral LOS Path Following for Curved Paths Based on a Monotone Cubic Hermite Spline Parametrization. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 99, March 2014.
- Khatib, O. (1986). Real-time obstacle avoidance for manipulators and mobile robots. The international journal of robotics research, vol. 5, no. 1.
Module 3: Guidance Principles
Line-of-sight methods, constant bearing and pure pursuit. Path-following control, path tracking and path maneuvering. Compensation of drift forces.
- Aguiar, A. P. and J. P. Hespanha (2007). Trajectory-tracking and path-following of underactuated autonomous vehicles with parametric modeling uncertainty. IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol. 52, No. 8, 2007, pp. 1362–1379.
- Breivik, M. and T. I. Fossen (2009). Guidance Laws for Autonomous Underwater Vehicles. In: Underwater Vehicles (A. V. Inzartsev, Ed.) ISBN: 978-953-7619-49-7, InTech.
- Børhaug, E. A. Pavlov and K. Y. Pettersen (2008). Integral LOS Control for Path Following of Underactuated Marine Surface Vessels in the Presence of Constant Ocean Currents, in Proc. 47th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Cancun, Mexico, Dec. 9-11, pp. 4984-4991.
- Fossen, T. I. and K. Y. Pettersen (2014). On Semiglobal Exponential Stability (USGES) of Proportional Line-of-Sight Guidance Laws. Automatica, Vol. 50, No. 11, pp.2912-2917.
- Fossen, T. I. and A. Lekkas (2015). Direct and Indirect Adaptive Integral Line-of-Sight Path-Following Controllers for Marine Craft Exposed to Ocean Currents. International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing, 2015.
- Fossen, T. I., K. Y. Pettersen and R. Galeazzi (2015). Line-of-Sight Path Following for Dubins Paths with Adaptive Sideslip Compensation of Drift Forces. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 23, No. 2, March 2015, pp. 820-827
- Healey, A. J. and D. Lienard (1993). Multivariable sliding mode control for autonomous diving and steering of unmanned underwater vehicles. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, vol. 18, no. 3, 1993, pp. 327-339.
- Lapierre, L., D. Soetanto and A. Pascoal (2003). Nonlinear path following with applications to the control of autonomous underwater vehicles. In: Proc. 42nd IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control, Vol. 2, 2003, pp. 1256-1261.
- Lekkas, A. M. and T. I. Fossen (2014). Trajectory Tracking and Ocean Current Estimation for Marine Underactuated Vehicles. IEEE Multi-conference on Systems and Control. Antibes, France, October 8-10.